JRCLS establishes only Middle Eastern Chapter in Amman, Jordan
When J. Reuben Clark Law School Alumna Anne Beecroft (’85) attended a BYU Alumni Association event in Amman, Jordan she did not realize the impact that her presence at the event would have on the Jordanian people.
“I attended an alumni reception and the law school alumni approached me with the idea of forming an Amman chapter of the law society,” Beecroft said.
Beecroft graduated from the J. Reuben Clark Law School in 1985 and is one of the founders of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society (JRCLS) Amman, Jordan
The JRCLS Amman Chapter currently has 14 members and is one of 26 international chapters. It is currently the only JRCLS chapter in the Middle East.
“The core members of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society Amman, Jordan Chapter are judges and future judges in the Jordanian Judiciary who attended BYU Law School and received an LLM,” Beecroft said. “Two judges have come each year since 2006, one in 2007, so there are now nine who have spent a year at BYU law school.”
The other five members include:
• Jordanian attorney Faisal Hijazeen who presented a paper about “Freedom and Religion” at a BYU Law School conference.
• BYU Alumni Association Amman Jordan Chapter President Shaker Allozi who graduated from the BYU Marriott School of Business.
• BYU Assistant International Vice President Pete Peterson who serves as a special chapter advisor.
• BYU Law School Professor Brett Scharffs who serves as a long distance chapter member.
• Anne Beecroft who has resided in Amman with her husband, U.S. Ambassador to Jordan Stephen Beecroft since 2008, when Condoleezza Rice swore Ambassador Beecroft into office.
“BYU Assistant International Vice President Pete Peterson helps the Law School with the effort to establish the chapter,” Beecroft said. “He is a special advisor to the JRCLS Amman Chapter, as he is a personal friend to each of the judges who have received an LLM from the BYU Law School.”
For more information about the Amman, Jordan Chapter, please feel free to visit: http://www.jrcls.org/chapters/
- Emily Borders